Sunday, March 24, 2013

is love enough?

James 1:22-27
But don’t just listen to God’s word. You must do what it says. Otherwise, you are only fooling yourselves. For if you listen to the word and don’t obey, it is like glancing at your face in a mirror. You see yourself, walk away, and forget what you look like. But if you look carefully into the perfect law that sets you free, and if you do what it says and don’t forget what you heard, then God will bless you for doing it.

If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you.

I have read the book of James many times over my life.  But as we know well, the Word of God is alive and sharper than a two edged sword and often it carves a new creation on our hearts. 

This morning, I was reading and seeking God's voice.  I skipped church because I just didn't feel like fighting with snow and my warm bed was too comfy to leave.

As I read this passage in James, I had to really ask myself some questions.  First, "Do I do what God's word says to do?"  "Do I control my tongue?"  "Do I really care for orphans and widows in their distress?"

My heart is good and intentional, but my arms and legs (and tongue and wallet) often fall short.  For the last couple of weeks, I have been caught up in the grace of God.  But I have to ask myself this morning, "Am I placing bets on grace?  Can't grace just carry me on?"

I'm not religious, and I'm not legalistic.  But, am I truly living like Jesus asks me to?

I drink alcohol (often), I use cuss words, and I listen to "Thrift Shop" by Macklemore & Ryan Lewis.  I got a tattoo and intend on getting more.  I don't pay tithes (honest) and I skip church... often.  I talk a lot about caring for the orphans.  I wrestle in sin and it usually wins.

But, I love.  I love deeply.  Is that enough?  

It's not.  

James 2:20, "Can't you see that faith without good deeds is useless?"

I know it's not about works, but...it's about works.

Eh.  I have questions.

No comments: