Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The blog you've all been waiting on!

Hey guys! Man, I know it has been awhile since my last update. It has been because I haven't had wifi or a chance to get on a computer until now! :-) I basically want to share what I have written in my journal from a day or two. I just want you to see my heart and be able to share my experience. My heart is so broken right now. Here is my journal entry from today. I hope it moves you as it moves me. 

July 7th, 2009
Today! oh my goodness, what a day! It was our first day in a smaller village here in El Salvador. No joke, I am absolutely tired. My body is exhausted, as is my mind. Although, what incredible need there is here in this village. The children are straight out of what you would see in a compassion international child sponsorship picture. They are barefoot, malnourished, and starved for attention. When we arrived, we were greatest like they had never seen other people before. The pastor's wife talked to us about a vision she had last night about us coming into a dirty cesspool of water and just cleaning it up. I have to realize that I am going to have to get dirty (emotional, physical, and spiritual). I have to dive in and give all of myself so that God can use me to make a difference in this country.
While the children were learning, an older woman was holding a boy. He was very weak acting and then our translator told me he was burning up. I felt his forehead but his hair was wet because the woman had taken him and tried to lower the fever. i had a thermometer (disposable) in my first aid kit, so I put it under his arm and waited for 3 minutes and then checked it. He had a fever of 102.2 and that in after being doused in water. I went and made him a rehydration drink and got more information from his mom about his change in behavior and physical condition. He had been throwing up for several days and had diarrhea. This combined with the fact swine flu is on the rise, I 'diagnosed' him with the "influenza porcina" aka swine flu. I was so sick to my stomach with nerves and anxiety, but I knew that God was with me and the team. I also listened to the pastor's son's lungs. He had wheezes in his right lung, and had been coughing up green phlegm. I know this is sign of pneumonia, but the parents said he has been feeling better. I will continue to monitor him for signs of worsening conditions.
Today, Matt asked if anyone 'feels sick right now?' to the children and to the adults. So many people raised their hands, but all we could do was pray. Not that it in itself is bad. i just feel terrible knowing that I can't do anything without medication. And, it is heartbreaking. I really care about the people's health.
There are so many more things I could write about this day, but I am so tired. I really must turn in for the evening. Lots more to do tomorrow. 

Prayer requests:
-The health of the people and this team. Swine flu is spreading rapidly here in El Sal.
-My heart to continue to break for God's people.
-A clear and concise way to portray God's love for these people. (70% of who we met today do not know the Lord.)

I love you all!
xoxo

1 comment:

charlibarnoskie said...

Kayla! I know the Lord is doing tremendous things through you in El Sal. I hope that you are loving it, and I am praying for you! Love you!