Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Devotion

October 21

To live in My presence consistently, you must expose and expel your rebellious tendencies. When something interferes with your plans or desires, you tend to resent the interference. Try to become aware of each resentment, however petty it may seem. Don't push those unpleasant feelings down; instead, let them come to the surface where you can deal with them. Ask My Spirit to increase your awareness of resentful feelings. Bring them boldly into the Light of My Presence, so that I can free you from them.

The ultimate solution to rebellious tendencies is submission to My authority over you. Intellectually you rejoice in My sovereignty, without which the world would be a terrifying place. But when my sovereign will encroaches on your little domain of control, you often react with telltale resentment. (italics mine.)

The best response to losses or thwarted hopes is praise: The Lord gives and the Lord takes away. Blessed be the name of the Lord. Remember that all good things- your possessions, your family and friends, your health and abilities, your time- are gifts from Me. Instead of feeling entitled to all these blessings, respond to them with gratitude. Be prepared to let go of anything I take from you, but never let go of My hand!

Psalm 139:23-24, "Search me thoroughly, O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts! And see if there is any wicked or hurtful way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting."

1 Peter 5:6, "Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that in due time He may exalt you."

I always enjoy reading these mini devotions out of Sarah Young's book Jesus Calling. They always challenge me to view the Lord a little differently. She set out to write down what the Lord spoke to her heart for a solid year. And these mini devotions are what He spoke to her. When I read these, it's like the Lord's presence is flowing right off the pages and words in the book. I am so thankful for God's faithfulness and His riches in mercy and grace.

One thing I realized while I was in El Salvador is that when the Lord is speaking to my heart, I know how intimate His presence is in me. At first, you just want to be able to share the words He pours into your heart with the nationals, but a guy on our team, Levi, made a very excellent statement. He said, "When God is speaking to our hearts in our language, He is also speaking to their hearts in their own language." Simple statement, but if you meditate on that, how incredibly powerful is it?

It was literally a moment where you could understand for a few seconds how 'everywhere' the Lord is. He is not just with you, or in your town, or state. Not even just in your own country. He is as intimate with a person in Sri Lanka RIGHT NOW as He is in you. That, my friends, is incredible, unexplainable, powerful, and straight up truth.

I italicized a sentence in the devotional that really made me think. When God's Holy Spirit encroaches on my little domain. . . I never want to respond with even a hint of resentment or rebellion.

God, create in me a clean and pure heart. Renew my spirit to be in tune with Yours. Open my eyes to the things around me and help me be open to the leading of Your Spirit. Speak to me through the sun, flowers, and rain. Extend my territory so that I may reach others and use my voice, mind, and body to pour into others your living truth. Thank You for Your chastisement. Thank You for loving me. So much so, that You would place a check in my spirit when You want me to learn something new or change something old. Oh, how I love You. ~Amen

xoxo

No comments: