Sunday, April 4, 2010

-Bought at a Price-

1 Corinthians 6:19b-20, "You are not your own; you were bought at a price."

This verse I have heard many times. But tonight, after reading some in a book named "Forgotten God" by Francis Chan, my thoughts have changed. His book isn't speaking on this subject, but the verse was a reference, and something about it struck me differently.

After receiving the offer of salvation through Christ's sacrifice, we are expected to live different lives. Why? Because, in a sense, we sold ourselves. We no longer live by our rules, our family's expectations, or our friend's opinions. We most certainly have the option to live the same as our western world, the freedom to choose whatever action and justify it in whatever way we can. BUT, if you have accepted the offer of salvation, then you are expected to live according to God's law. Because, you do NOT own yourself. You were BOUGHT at a price. The price being Christ's own death.

A lot of times, I cheat God. I expect Him to follow up on His promises... but what about the promise I made Him. I promised to follow His commands all my days. I promised to enter into relationship with Him. I promised to read my Bible and pray! I promised to love Him no matter what happened. I promised to spread His life-changing story to as many as I could.

Then complacency and/or fear sets in... Though I still expect Him to hold up His end of the deal, I slowly but surely put off a few of the promises I made. Prayer? What is prayer? God already knows my thoughts. Sure...I'll pray for you.......if I get the time. and, You want me to talk to her? about You? Ummm, she wears Dolce&Gabana, expensive makeup, and carries a Coach purse... I'm sure she already knows Your story. Besides, she'll think I'm a religious freak and then I'll NEVER get to sit with her at the lunch table. Come on, you know we've all had those thoughts. So worried about our appearances that we purposefully put God a little behind us, laugh at a few dirty jokes, down a couple of drinks, and hope our church friends don't watch it all happen. We do it all to simply fit in, in this tiny little world in our tiny little towns. The picture of eternity doesn't even cause us to think twice anymore because our hearts are so hardened.

What amazes me is that although we do this, God doesn't cut us off. He just waits and/or pursues us to get back to Him. Without the Cross, all the aforementioned would immediately cut you off from God. Without the Cross, we would never know what it feels like to be in the presence of God. Without the Cross, our lives would be completely different.

The Cross, people. It's Christ on the Cross, people, that did this for us. He paid for you. A really big sacrifice, I might add... So, if you're a believer out there reading this, don't forget, "You are NOT your own; you were BOUGHT at a PRICE." (capitalization mine.) So, live like it, Kayla Aiken. Live like it, friends.

We may not get another chance.

No comments: