Friday, December 11, 2009

how to handle God's call

This is an excerpt from my Amplified Bible featuring notes and commentary by Joyce Meyer. I don't like the Amplified version, so I don't typically pull it out very often, but tonight, I am glad I did.

"Paul said that he kept the news of his calling to himself; he did not check it out with "the big guys" who were supposed to hear from God (see Galations 1:15-19). He knew what God did with him on that road to Damascus. He knew that he was changed forever (see Acts 9:3-8). He knew that the Son of God was unveiled and disclosed on the inside of ihm. He knew he could never go back to the life he had lived. He knew that for the rest of his life he would preach the Gospel and remain faithful to what he heard Jesus say to him.

But Paul also had the wisdom to know people would find his calling unbelievable. So he waited on God. He did not go running around checking witht he other apostles, saying, "Hey guys, I saw a light on the road and fell down, and this happened and that happened. What do you all think?" Instead, he went to Arabia, and then came back to Damascus. Three years after that, he traveled to Jerusalem to become acquainted with Peter, but did not see any of the other apostles except James.

Paul kept God's Word in his heart and let it grow and manifest on its own. Then he started doing what he was called to do. Soon others recognized that the calling on him must have been from God. What was the result? Galations 1:24 tells us that the people glorified God as the "Author and Source" of what had taken place in Paul.

Has God given you a calling to serve Him? As you stay in His Word and wait on Him, you will see growth in your life and receptivity to the message God gives you."

What a great lesson for me to be reminded of this evening. I'm a definite people-pleaser, and I am consistently looking to others to see what they think of what choices I am making. When in truth, I only need to wait upon the Lord. I need to not get too ahead of myself. Paul waited with the Lord for 3 years going through the training of his mind and transformation of his heart before God gave him permission to carry on with His duties. Whoa! 3 years?! It's only been one year since I was called to missions, but the truth is, that God is in control of where I go. He wants me to get there way more than even I want to get there.

Good stuff....

No comments: