Thursday, March 25, 2010

Brighter Days Ahead

My spring break from school started a week ago today. I have until Monday still off to relax and gear up for the next 8 weeks of blissful nursing! :-) My last post..whew... So many things were/are on my heart, but God is faithful. At that time a week ago, I was so discouraged. In the last seven days, God has shown me so much about myself. Through gentle whispers, a calm breeze, no homework, and a really good book. I've missed my Bible. Trust me, I'm NOT a daily reader. I used to be, but the past several months I've become a slacker in that area. However, this whole week at home, I just feel like a part of me is quite lost without it on my bedside table. Just the appearance of the Word of God strengthens my soul, and I didn't even know it.

On my way home for spring break, I stopped off at the library and picked up a book by Dr. Kevin Leman named "The Firstborn Advantage." If you are a firstborn, or you know someone that you are having connection/relationship issues with (i.e. a firstborn friend/relative), this book is for you. It really lays the life and mentality of a firstborn right out there. It talks about perfectionism, and how truly, we are SO into pleasing ourselves. Eventually, it leads to what Dr. Leman calls a discouraged perfectionist. It has nothing to do with what YOU are doing, but everything to do about what we, in our hearts, are feeling about ourselves.

It's incredible, really. I feel a real blessing from God by being introduced to this book. It's a nice sized book, but within the first 12 hours, I had 120 pages of it read. I can't get enough of it. I honestly thought I was one-of-a-kind, but holy smokes, he is nailing EVERY single one of my characteristics and personality strengths and weakensses. I LOVE it. A quote he uses throughout the book several times is that a firstborn is the "mover and shaker of the universe." World-changers. I love that! The book, with God's grace, has helped me understand why I have made the decisions I have made lately, and how I view the consequences thereof. <> I just LOVE learning!

Beautiful stuff. We truly do have something great to live for.

thank.you.Lord.

No comments: