Tuesday, January 19, 2010

He is not shaken, nor surprised...

12, January, 2010-One week ago, the country of Haiti shook violently and mercilessly while it was the pawn in the hand of a ravaging earthquake. The whole world knew minutes after the tragedy occurred, and began to respond quickly. The running line you saw most news articles beginning their story with was these words, "homes, hospitals, businesses, everything is flattened..." Many people are dead. The Red Cross currently estimating 70,000 but very likely more. It's been 7 days. Medical opinion speaks that the likelihood of finding anymore alive is virtually zero. Yet many are still missing loved ones. Which places the death poll possibly even higher.

In the midst of simply searching for survivors, panic, grief, pain, injuries, chaos, and sadness have no doubt prevailed through the cities. As a sister in Christ, I grieve with them. As a daughter of the Most High King, I am called to intercede on their behalf. Haiti was already a desperate nation. They were already starving. They already struggled to find clean water. They were already desperate for work to support families. They were already needing a desperate refreshing from the Lord.

Praise You, God, for organizations that have been established in Haiti for an extended period of time. Thank You, Lord, for the Convoy of Hope, Samaritans Purse, Messengers International, World Vision, Compassion International, and many more who have invested so much to help the nation. The country of Haiti has needed the attention it is receiving now a long time ago. The awareness of the crucial state Haiti lies in. Hunger is prevailing. Disease is bombarding the weak and immune-suppressed. AIDs is transmitted in Haiti and is killing God's children. There WILL, no doubt, come a point where we will have to say this: "What you did in the heat of the moment was astonishing. Now, what will you continue to do? This is vital to not just recovery, but growth."

I've followed Haiti for a little over a year now. In October of 08, I had the privilege through to begin sponsoring a baby girl age 9. Through a monthly contribution, it has been made possible for little Cheline to go to receive a hot meal everyday while receiving an education, as well as help for her entire family. She is involved in church and loves to play with babydolls and sing at church. Although I am a thousand miles away, she is in a sense my first daughter. And I love her.

Thirteen months ago, the Lord told me very clearly that He made me to serve Haiti. He designed me to help them. Although I am a thousand miles away, Haiti is where my heart lives. I share God's heart and passion for the Haitian people. I desire each one of them to come into an enriching relationship with the same God I serve and am blessed by. I hurt when they hurt. I cry when they cry. I laugh when they laugh. I will walk with them here, and when it is time, I will walk with them where they, (and I, myself), call home; the country of Haiti.

You may have a passion to go to the country to aid in relief, (as I do, also!) but the fact remains that sometimes, even when something is a passion, we have to yield our feelings to our Creator for Him to control. I am learning that this burden I have been under for 7 days (+ one year) is not because God wants me there on the ground at this moment. It is because He has called me into a time of intercession for His people there. Currently a time of intercession for the Haitians, the United Statesmen, the British, the Australians, the Venezuelan's, and many others assisting in the relief, recovery, and sustainability process. If God wanted us on the ground, believe me, we'd be there. For who can stop God? Who can thwart His plans? Who's plans are higher than His?

Stand your ground. Out of major events, comes major faith. Out of major faith, comes amazing works of our God.

God, You are not shaken. You are not taken by surprise. The people of Haiti and those helping need Your rest and comfort to be brought upon them, for they are weary. You are in control, and all things work in accordance to Your end for them. We love you, Lord. We place our worry and fear in You. Amen

P.S. If you have not given your coffee money away, or spared yourself from Kohls, Target, or the local mall to give financially to a reliable organization that has history working with the country of Haiti and is actively aiding right now, I highly encourage you to do so. I gave 10 dollars because it is what I have right now. But effective organizations can make that 10 dollars stretch to 40 dollars and possibly as high as 70 dollars.
I recommend www.convoyofhope.org as they are backed by the Better Business Bureau, and have achieved the highest rating of four stars by Charity Navigator. Do it. Do it for Cheline, and her friends. Do it because you know you can.

No comments: