Tuesday, January 26, 2010

I'm interceding for you, Haiti

Yesterday I started my last first day of Nursing school. What a milestone, huh? In less than four months, I will hopefully be beginning to work as a graduate nurse. Then, after I take my boards (NCLEX) I will be able to officially write RN after my name. Like this:

Kayla Aiken, RN

I mean, that is just really cool to me. I'll have just turned 21, and hopefully will no longer have braces in my mouth.

Let me talk to you about something more meaningful:

I didn't purposely wait another week to update my blog for it to be on the 2 week anniversary of the 7.0 earthquake that rocked Haiti's world and those diligently working in the country. Even as I type the name Haiti, I am brought to tears. I'll only say it once, (b/c I could go on and on about it), but I LOVE that country. I LOVE those people.

Last week, especially toward the end of the week, I was just so emotional. Because I can't go to aid the country right now, I felt like being involved and staying caught up in the news was the best thing I could do. Truth is, it didn't do anything but cause me depression. Awareness is key to move hearts of people to pray, give, go... I already prayed, continue to pray, already gave, but I just couldn't go. It has bothered me to know that I have skills to help those that are hurting, and I feel like I'm hoarding my gift, because I can't actually reach them... This might sound weird, but the truth is my 'spiritual' gift (if you may) is healing. When I see people hurting, I seriously break down. It's bittersweet. Bitter because I can't always help them, and sweet because I know God is the one who feels that for the broken, and I am the vessel being used by Him.

Saying all of this, (it's such a scattered post), the disaster in Haiti has reignited my fire for prayer. I was having a sincere struggle understanding the purpose of praying and feeling it never went above the clouds, but it was all because I thought I had to plead a case and pray hard enough, say scripture verses in my prayer, and remind God of all His prior answers to prayer. False. Truth?: Just give it to Him, and if I feel it continually on my heart, intercede. If you pray the way I described above, it's exhausting. At least it was for me. When I thought about praying, I shut down because I was too tired to come up with reasons why God should answer my prayer. Now, I know better. God doesn't need that info. Whatever your passions are for, God's the one who has given them to you. He knows the facts. He hasn't forgotten promises in the scripture, He hasn't forgotten the past. And, He's in the future. Keep interceding. I'm interceding for you, Haiti.

God, Haiti needs help. May we all be empowered by the Spirit to be the vessel You've designed us to be. Bring hope. Amen





No comments: