Thursday, March 26, 2009

Tough words to swallow

This blog I'm going to write isn't easy to take in. It has literally changed my way of thinking. And I'm so freaked about what I have recently read. I believe it is lifechanging. I believe that it is something that needs to be shared with the world. They are words out of a book by Francis Chan. He is a pastor, speaker, and writer. He's radical. The name of the book is "Crazy Love."
___________________________________________
To put it plainly, churchgoers who are "lukewarm" are not Christians. We will not see them in heaven. In Revelations 3:15-18, Jesus says,
I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm-neither not hor cold- I am about to spit you out of my mouth. You say, "I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing." But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see."

There is no gentle rendering of the word spit in Greek. This is the only time it is used in the NT, and it connotes gagging, hurling, retching. Many people read this passage and assume Jesus is speaking to saved people. Why? When you read it, do you naturally conclude that to be "spit" out of Jesus' mouth means you're a part of His kingdom? When you read the words "wretched, pitiful, poor, blind, and naked," do you think that He's describing saints?

...

Let's face it. We're willing to make changes in our lives only if we think it affects our salvation. This is why I have so many people ask me questions like, Can I divorce my wife and still go to heaven? Do I have to be baptized to be saved? Am I a Christian even though I'm having sex with my girlfriend? If I commit suicide, can I still go to heaven? If I'm ashamed to talk about Christ, is He really going to deny knowing me?
To me, these questions are tragic becasue they reveal much about the state of our hearts. They demonstrate that our concern is more about going to heaven than loving the King. Jesus said, "If you love me, you will obey what I command" (John 14:15). And our question quickly becomes even more unthinkable: Can I go to heaven without truly and faithfully loving Jesus?
I don't see anywhere in Scripture how the answer to that question could be yes.
_____________________________________
All of the above was out of his book in the 5th chapter. Now on to the next few things I would like to talk about. I just recently got into a debate with my very own uncle about the 'richness' of the United States of America. He does not believe he is rich. My family does not believe they are rich. My uncle, who makes enough to somehow afford satellite, nice vehicles, a pool, animals, food, a very nice home, and computers does not believe he is rich. Sure, he doesn't live in a mansion, or drive cadillacs, but when it comes down to sponsoring a child in another country all of these things take higher priority and all of the sudden 30 bucks a month is too much. I left steaming. I left furious. I am STILL totally broken about the conversation we had. Last night, I read the following out of my Crazy Love book.

_________________________________________
If one hundred people represented the world's population, fifty-three of those would live on less than $2 a day. Do you realize that if you make $4,000 a month, you automatically make one hundred times more than the average person on this planet? Simply by purchasing this book, you spent what a majority of people in the world will make in a week's time.
Which is more messed up-that we have so much compared to everyone else, or that we don't think we're rich? That on any given day we might flippantly call ourselves "broke" or "poor"? We are neither of those things. We are rich. Filthy rich.
The reality is that, whether we acknowledge our wealth or not, being rich is a serious disadvantage spiritually. As William Wilberforce once said, "Prosperity hardens the heart."
...
Jesus said, "'Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.' When he [the rich man] heard this, he became very sad, because he was a man of great wealth. Jesus looked at him and said, 'How hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of God'" (Luke 18:22-24). He says it's as hard as a camel to go through the eye of a needle-in other words, impossible.
__________________________________________

Selah, my friends. Because, I'm afraid we've been going at it from a completely wrong angle. We are so richly blessed. So rich. Do you tithe? Do you sponsor children? Do you give to the needy in your own back yard? I know I don't do everything I should be doing. Please, let's take heed of this. please.. Please!

3 comments:

Jundy Bautista said...

what an incredible posting! i particularly liked how you point out that the average human being makes $4 a month. Amazing... just amazing... keep up the great posts!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I didn't write that! :) Francis Chan did. He's an amazing author. Definitely, obviously, gives us all something to think about, huh?

May I ask how you came across my blog?

Anonymous said...

The paragraph regarding helping those in need was convicting. Setting others aside entirely, I can think of many times when it seemed like such an inconvenience to send thirty, thirty-five, or even as low as twenty-five dollars to help an organization-these thoughts circling around in my head as I was returning home from the spa for one of many treatments, the mall, etc. Even if you honestly do not have the extra money, God accepts all forms of "payment," e.g. volunteering at church, the city mission, or elsewhere.

Thanks for sharing, K Bizzel