Sunday, April 15, 2012

Made For

So, I met this guy, Michael, Wednesday night. Don't get your panties in a wad, he lives in Washington and that sort of settles it. But, he was sweet. We talked about a lot, and one was a mutual love of music. Not the radio kind, but the deep rich sounds of Chopin and Mozart.

Michael is a classical pianist who was pressured by his uncle to pursue a "real job." In the same way, several well-meaning family members of my own pressured the same thing on me. I cried myself to sleep for months due to internal conflict; music-my life, or nursing-good money, steady job? Their suggestions were wise, and I felt I would fall flat on my face in life if I didn't choose what they said.

I remember thinking that Fall of 2007, "If I choose nursing, will there ever come a day when I will regret not choosing music?" 

Today, my friends, at approximately 7:08 PM, I felt the weight of that regret. 

You see, I made mention a few weeks ago about buying a piano and picking up lessons. Even considered repairing my clarinet's padding. I made mental note to remember to bring my guitar back here from my hometown, where it's sat since my last move.

I don't think meeting Michael from Barnes and Noble was an accident or unplanned. That night, I remembered that I'm worth investing into. I remembered to chase my dreams. I remembered that only I can be wholly me. 

I love to make music. It's my other half. It's what completes me. In soul, in mind, and in strength. It's what I was made for.

No comments: