Saturday, March 31, 2012

covered or sprinkled

There are so many sounds in this world. Though I hear Mercy's "Code Blue" sound infrequently, it's one that I can hear long after it stops screaming. There's a life on the line. A heart pump that threatens to quit. Two lungs that are tempted to stop exchanging. Two eyes that stare straight at you, with pinpoint pupils. Sometimes, you wish you didn't see those eyes. They tend to speak to you.

On the drive home, you re-evaluate the situation. Tonight, my heart breaks for families of ceasing loved ones. The anguish all throughout their body. The hand forgets what it's touching. The face wracks unconsolably. The foot shakes uncontrollably. The soul tears a little. Shock rips through their brain. I watch and I want to hold them. I want to let them beat upon my chest and yell out, "Why, dear God, why?!"

And he said, "Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked shall I return. The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord." Job 1:21 (ESV).

We all end up in the ground covered in dirt or sprinkled in the ocean. Tonight, I'm extra aware of that.


1 comment:

Olga said...

You mean the body ends up in the ground? Right? You know where the souls are going to be?
" Truly I say into you- today you shall be in paradise"
Luke 23:43