Monday, April 6, 2009

Genesis 41:31
"The abundance in the land will not be remembered, because the famine that follows it will be so severe."

I'm currently working on reading the Bible from beginning to end. Growing up in church, one would think that I would be able to keep Joseph separate from Jacob, and Joshua separate from Joseph. But, truth is, I just don't know the lineage. I don't know in what order they were born or how God orchestrated them into the body of the kingdom. And, these things are important. I began an Old Testament class in college at the beginning of the semester. I realized how little I know about the history of the stories I grew up learning in Sunday School. I think a lot of us think that they are only for Kids church. I know I did. I'm learning SO much through reading the book of Genesis. I am only on the 42nd chapter, but God has just opened my eyes to so many things. I tell ya, I really need to write a book on my life. Everyone has a story, (hence the reasons for so many books.) What works for one person doesn't always work for another. But, maybe my life story will help someone. Give someone encouragement. This will definitely be something I will be praying about!

Anyway, back to the reason for writing this blog. . .
I'm in the part of Genesis that is telling the story of Joseph. Number one statement, this story is incredible. I'm so thankful the Lord recorded this part of history. I just read about Pharaoh's cupbearer and chief baker being thrown into prison where they were put under Joseph's authority even though he himself was in prison. They had dreams and Joseph interpreted them. After Pharaoh himself had a dream that was troubling him, the cupbearer (who life had been spared), told him about an interpreter he had met when 'the king got angry and sent his servants to prison.' So, Pharaoh called for Joseph and Joseph told him what his dream meant. Basically, that there was a famine coming, and they needed to lay up food in order to make it through the famine.

A lot of people miss significance in the Old Testament stories. We think they're only fables or that they were only meant for those that lived in those days. How robbed we are of God's lessons if we think that?!

One of the things I thought of when I read the scripture that I posted above was this nation that we live in. The United States of America. I have to say that at one point and time I said it much more proudly and boldy than I do now. I still am proud to be an American. But, the leaders of our country have jaded the name, and the shocking majority of Christians in this country are as liberal as...well, maybe I should hold my tongue. Maybe I shouldn't. . . idk. I'm ashamed. We fall short of what it means to know what Christianity is all about a lot of the time. We have so much that we have 'no need for God.' Which, in turn, yields a scary consequence. I'm afraid that all the USA once stood for will no longer be remembered. The Lord only deals with sin, pleuralism, and tolerism as long as He can. And then, there are consequences to pay. Forgiveness is still readily available, but consequences will always remain. This country is in line for a big jolt by the hand of the Sovereign Lord. I pray that you are building and filling your storehouses for the period of famine that awaits. I also pray that the hand of the Lord be upon His followers more than ever during this time of uncertainty. I pray that you will listen to the calling of the Lord. Do not reject Him. Just don't.

Live your life in such a way that when famine's strike, the abundant life lived before will be remembered. Famines don't typically last forever, but it could for you. And, it may possibly take your entire life making up for what you didn't store when you had the chance.

I love you.

No comments: